Wednesday, November 12, 2008

blink - Malcolm Gladwell

I have to say I have crush on Malcolm Gladwell. His books have seduced me and I think he must be brilliant to have written such fascinating books about such interesting subjects. blink is my favorite and the first book of his I had read. blink is about rapid thinking. As he puts it, it is about the thinking you do in the "blink of an eye."

It is about the two seconds we use at first exposure to anything to come to an immediate conclusion. Malcolm Gladwell wrote a whole book about those two seconds, because he thinks those instant conclusions that we reach are really powerful, important, and often, really good.

The book explores those two seconds. What is going on inside our heads when we engage in rapid cognition? When are snap judgments good and when are they not? What kinds of things can we do to make our powers of rapid cognition better?

And I have to say he makes his case, answers those questions, and answers even more questions by the end of the book. He uses fascinating real-world situations and data. I don't want to spoil it for you. I guarantee you won't regret reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey feel free to post a comment and save me from isolated obscurity!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.