Saturday, April 5, 2008

Still Dreaming of Disney…

We are back from the birthday extravaganza and I must be honest…I was disappointed. Thank goodness, Sofia and Emma were not. They had a great time. They loved every part of it (except some of the walking). We went to Ariel’s Grotto for the Princess Lunch and they loved meeting Sleeping beauty, Belle, Jasmine, and Cinderella. We also went to the Princess Faire and they had a private audience with Cinderella there too, and Sleeping Beauty told the crowd a story. We stayed for the fireworks and went home late with the girls asleep before we even made it to the car.

Okay, so that was the day from the girls perspective, now here is the real story (as it is all about me!). So from my perspective, the park was crowded as usual. Waiting in lines seriously cut down on rides we actually were able to ride. Well I also have to say they were already limited due to having two kids under the age of 6. All day long, our entire ride list only included: Dumbo, Snow White, Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Pirates, those spaceship things in Tomorrowland that are a lot like Dumbo, and a few rides in Flik’s area at California Adventure! I was in severe fun ride withdrawal by the end of the day.

Now food was also a bit disappointing. We ate breakfast at the hotel before we went to the parks, and we missed dinner in all the craziness at the end and had to eat on the way home. So the only meal actually at Disney outside of snacks was at Ariel’s Grotto. All I can say was yuck. The food sucked, in my humble opinion. They have a pretty sad menu to begin with, burgers, meatloaf, chicken pot pie, or Caesar salad (and I have mentally blocked out the cost, but I know it was close to 20 per person before tax and tip). The pot pie (my choice) was salty and I left more than half on my plate. Carlos had the burger and was satisfied (but he still paid 20 for an okay burger and crappy fries). Okay on to better complaints.
The real issue that probably led to my disappointment was my mobility issues. I debated quite a bit what to do about my ankle. I could hobble around without crutches at this point but it was pretty hard. We opted for a wheelchair. I was worried Carlos would be exhausted from having to push me all around the parks, so we went for the electric cart. Big mistake. I learned later I could not have anyone ride with me and since we did not bring a stroller, Carlos had to walk with girls the entire day and the girls never did understand why they could not ride with me. And with the crowds and the rude rude people, I spent most of the day stressed I would run someone over, because no one made any space at all for me. They would cut me off or push right into me. All I can say is never ever envy anyone with a disability at Disneyland because they really have no real perks at all and face many difficulties just navigating the park. Most rides do NOT have shortcuts for the disabled. A few let you enter from the exit, but you then have to wait until they allow you to get on which may be longer than the normal line (i.e., Pirates). Most just make you stay in the normal big line and then wait when you get to the front for an accessible cart, so you wait longer!

Anyway, I hope to someday be able to go again without a disability, and sadly, at least once, without children so I can truly have a fun-filled day! I sound like such a complainer! There were some moments that were magical. The fireworks were spectacular. They seem to improve them every year and this year was no exception. They even had fire blasting from the castle so strong you could feel the heat of the flames! The employees as usual were friendly and went out of their way to help. Our private visit with Cinderella was so cool. The girls felt so special. Oh, I forgot to mention that we went to the Mission tortilla factory in CA and Sofia was gifted a whole bag of tortillas and they were so yummy. They taste better than the ones in the stores.
Okay I have been procrastinating on publishing this post because I know I have better pictures still on my camera. However, I am going to post what i have now and post the better pictures later whenever I upload them from my camera!!!
Goofy wishes Sofia Happy Birthday!
Sofia and Carlos on Main Street (note the autograph book, her first...)
Sofia on the Merry Go Round...
My beautiful birthday girl Sofia...
(note the infamous electric vehicle she is posing by)
The girls get Pluto's autograph
The only picture of the blasted Princess lunch I can find on my phone
Storytime with Aurora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey feel free to post a comment and save me from isolated obscurity!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.