Monday, March 24, 2008

Ankle Update

I made my way into work today with my ace-wrapped ankle and my crutches and decided I did not feel the medical advice I was given was sufficient to last me 4 to 6 weeks! Walking from parking lot to the office on crutches took forever and the little ace wrap did not seem sufficient to protect me from further injury when i was trucking all over a huge hospital. After my first patient, I checked myself into the walk-in clinic and talked to the doctor on call. He was much more informative. Apparently, I probably tore a couple of my tendons on my ankle (I was advised we have 3 main tendons there.). I really will take 4 to 6 weeks to heal at the minimum and I will be wearing an ankle brace for quite a while, especially if I plan to keep hiking! He said the key to healing a sprain appropriately was to keep ankle at a right angle and avoid future twisting. So I got fitted into a "boot" to keep my ankle fixed in place. This did seem to help me walk a bit without the crutches and once it does not hurt to walk, I can lose the crutches. However, the boot is the biggest darn thing I have seen! It looks like it was made for Big Foot. I hate it but I hate the crutches more and hope it allows me to dump the crutches in a few days.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey feel free to post a comment and save me from isolated obscurity!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.